The AOCNS® examination tests the knowledge necessary for the nurse to practice competently as a clinical nurse specialist in adult oncology. Candidates who pass the AOCNS® Test may use the certification mark "AOCNS®" to verify that they have met all eligibility and testing requirements. The certification mark may be used only as long as certification is valid. AOCNS® certification is valid for four years.
AOCNS® examinations are offered throughout the year. Candidates may apply at any time they meet the eligibility criteria. AOCNS® candidates should allow 4–6 weeks following application to receive their Authorization to Test (ATT), which will confirm eligibility to test and contain the information needed to make a testing appointment. The ATT will be valid for 90 days. It is the candidate's responsibility to schedule a testing appointment and take the test prior to the expiration of the ATT. Please review the 2014 AOCNS® Test Candidate Handbook.
Nurses who want to take the AOCNS® Examination before the year end should apply by September 1 to ensure a 90-day testing before December 31. Candidates who apply after September 1 may test, but may not have a 90-day testing window. In this instance, the candidate may test in an abbreviated (less than 90-day) window, or test during a 90-day window in the following year. Candidates who opt to test in the abbreviated window must test within the abbreviated time period.
Special Discount for AOCN® Certified Nurses: AOCN® certified nurses may apply for an AOCNP® or AOCNS® Test to be taken in 2014 at 50% off the fee. Please use the link below to access the discount application form, and return it by mail or fax. The discount cannot be obtained by applying online.
AOCNS Test application information
- Eligibility Criteria for Initial Candidates
- 2014 AOCNS® Test Candidate Handbook (PDF)
- 2014 Test Dates, Application Deadlines and Fees (PDF)
- Apply Online
- Application for 2014 AOCNS® Certification-Discount – for AOCN® certified nurses only (PDF)
- AOCNS® Candidate Practice Verification Form (PDF)
- Special Accommodations for Americans with Disabilities
- Credential Evaluation Services for Candidates Educated or Licensed Outside the US
- International Testing Information (PDF)
- Experience Calculator
AOCNS Test Content information
- 2014 AOCNS® Test Candidate Handbook (PDF) - All candidates should review
- About the Test
- AOCNS® Test Blueprint (Test content outline)
- AOCNS® Test References (PDF) -- update
- Sample Test Items
- Study Tips
- Practice Tests
- Review Courses
- AOCNS® Role Delineation Study – Executive Summary (PDF)
Make a Test Appointment
Test Day Information
- About Computer-Based Testing
- Identification Requirements for Admission to Test (PDF)
- Taking the Test
- What to Expect at the Test Center
- Test Scores, Score Reports, and Cancellation of Scores