Advanced Oncology Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist (AOCNS®)
Maintaining your certification
You should be very proud to be certified! In order to keep your certification, you need to earn points for certification renewal by completing Continuing Nursing Education, Continuing Medical Education, Academic Education credits, or have work published in publications or give presentations. Follow this step-by-step guide to maintain your certification.
1. Determine where to record your points.
You'll record and submit your renewal points on LearningBuilder. You gain access to your learning plan on LearningBuilder shortly after you pass a test or take the assessment. If you are renewing AOCN®, AOCNS® or CPON® certification, you'll be given access to LearningBuilder shortly after you renew your certification each time - you will not take an assessment.
2. Plan your professional development.
Your assessment results or test results report will tell you the subject areas and number of professional development points – ranging from 25 to 100 – you’ll need to renew your certification. These points and the subject areas where you may earn points are reflected in LearningBuilder.
3. Select the necessary subject areas.
Use your results report or assessment results to see which subject areas you need further professional development. Then, refer back to the current Test Content Outline (Test Blueprint) to help you identify whether a program is in the subject area you need.
4. Enter your points on your learning plan in LearningBuilder.
Have your CE certificates or other documentation handy when you're ready to enter your points in LearningBuilder. It's best to enter points as you earn them to avoid a last-minute rush when it's time to renew
5. Keep all documentation.
We strongly urge you to record your points as they are earned. Keep copies of all grade reports, copies of publications, program descriptions, educational objectives, and outlines, in case ONCC asks to review them.
Visit the Resource Center for the following information:
- Acceptable Approval Bodies/Providers of Nursing Continuing Education
- Online Continuing Education Resources
- Websites featuring nursing continuing education
View Eligibility Criteria for Certification Renewal
- Current AOCNS® certification
- A current, active, unencumbered license as a registered nurse in the US, its territories or Canada at the time of application and examination.
- A minimum of 1,000 hours of practice in roles of the clinical nurse specialist in adult oncology within the four years (48 months) prior to application.
What is Advanced Practice? ONCC uses the definition of Advanced Practice nursing provided by the American Nurses Association.
Renewing your certification
All ONCC certifications are valid for four years. Renewal candidates must have a current, active, unencumbered RN license. One renewal option is available:
- Option 1: Practice hours + Professional Development Points(also known as ILNA Points)
AOCNS® Renewal Requirements
|Total points:||50 points in adult oncology|
Share this page: