Are you ready to enhance your professional credibility and enjoy the feeling of personal accomplishment that comes from being certified? If you meet the criteria listed below, take the BMTCN® test and get recognized for your specialized BMT knowledge.
Blood & Marrow Transplant Certified Nurse (BMTCN®)
Eligibility Criteria for Initial Certification
The following eligibility criteria must be met at the time of application and examination.
- A current, active, unencumbered license as a registered nurse in the US, its territories or Canada at the time of application and examination.
- A minimum of two years (24 months) of experience as an RN within the four years (48 months) prior to application, and
- A minimum of 2,000 hours of BMT nursing practice within the four years (48 months) prior to application. Nursing practice may be in clinical practice, nursing administration, education, education, research or consultation. To qualify as nursing practice, the role must require it be filled only by a Registered Nurse.
- Completed a minimum of 10 contact hours of nursing continuing education in blood and marrow stem cell transplant nursing or an academic elective in oncology nursing within the three years (36 months) prior to application. The contact hours must have been provided or formally approved by an acceptable accredited provider or approver of continuing nursing education (CNE) or nursing continuing professional development (NCPD). A maximum of five of the 10 required contact hours in oncology may be continuing medical education (CME) in oncology.
Applying for certification
BMTCN® is the only nationally accredited test that validates an individual's specialized knowledge in blood and marrow transplantation nursing. This certification is available exclusively to registered nurses.
The certification test a three-hour, 165 multiple-choice item test is based on the BMTCN® Test Content Outline (Test Blueprint). The Test Content Outline is based on the results of a role delineation study of blood and marrow transplantation nursing practice conducted in 2016.
The BMTCN® Test Content Outline includes six major subject areas, each with a percentage assigned to it. Many nurses who have passed the test tell us the Test Content Outline was essential in helping them know what areas to study. Remember, only generic drug names are used on ONCC tests. Once you pass the test your certification is valid for four years.
Note: If you’re eligible to test, you’ll receive an Authorization to Test (ATT) within 2 weeks of applying. This ATT will open an almost-immediate 90-day testing window. You must take the test within that 90-day window.
Testing in the US/Canada Only
|ONS/APHON Member: Age 65+||$225
|Nonmember: Age 65+||$315|
(Application deadline - July 22, 2020)
|ONS/APHON Member||$296 + $75|
|Nonmember||$416 + $75|
|ONS/APHON Member: Age 65+||$225 + $75|
|Nonmember: Age 65+||$315+ $75|
** International testing is available in November only in Saudi Arabia and Jordan. Candidates must apply by submitting a completed paper application. A $75 international test site fee is included in fees shown above. International candidates who do not hold a US license must have their license evaluated for US equivalency.
Eligibility Criteria for Certification Renewal
The following eligibility criteria must be met at the time of application.
- Current BMTCN® certification
- A current, active, unencumbered license as a registered nurse in the US, its territories or Canada.
- A minimum of one year (12 months) of experience as an RN within the three years (36 months) prior to application, and
- A minimum of 1,000 hours of blood and marrow stem cell transplantation nursing experience within the two-and-one-half years (30 months) prior to application.
Renewing your certification
All ONCC certifications are valid for four years. Renewal candidates must have a current, active, unencumbered RN license. Three renewal options are available:
- Option 1: Practice hours + Professional Development (Points)
- Option 2: Practice hours + successful testing
- Option 3:Points + successful testing
Candidates who are using renewal Option 3 (Points + Testing) should submit both the application and learning plans by the test application deadline date. Option 3 candidates must submit a test application and learning plan at the same time.
Share this page: