When to Take the Assessment
Each time you renew by Option 1 (Professional development points) you need to take the assessment before you can earn points for your next renewal. For example: if you renew by Option 1 in 2019, you must take the assessment before you can earn points for renewal in 2023. ONCC will send you an Authorization to Assess by email when you can take the assessment, usually within a few weeks of receiving your certificate packet.
Continuing education completed before taking the assessment cannot be used for renewal points. Note - if you are renewing certification for the first time after passing a test you do not take the assessment. Use your test score report to identify renewal requirements. (AOCN®, AOCNS® and CPON® certified nurses do not take an assessment).
The assessment is not on this website. Check your email for a message from ILNA@goamp.com with the subject line "Authorization to Assess". Please contact ONCC to have your Authorization resent. The assessment is free.
Taking the Assessment
- Allow 2 hours for the assessment. It is timed and must be completed in one session. You cannot exit the assessment.
- Take the assessment alone in a quiet place with minimal interruptions.
- Technical Requirements: The assessment must be completed on a computer, tablet, or mobile device with a stable internet connection using the latest version of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. You must have the "cookies enabled" feature set on the browser.
Find out what to expect when taking the assessment.
Option 1 Renewal allows you to earn points for certification renewal by completing professional development activities, such as continuing nursing education, continuing medical education, academic education, publications or presentations. You are not required to complete specific type of activity.
You will record and submit your renewal points in LearningBuilder. ONCC will email you when you can access LearningBuilder through your ONCC account. Keep documentation of the points you earn (e.g., CE certificates, program descriptions, grade reports). You will need this information when entering your points in LearningBuilder.
Time Period to Earn ILNA Points (Accrual Period)
- Candidates renewing certification for the first time after testing may submit points earned from the date they pass the test through the date the renewal application and learning plan are submitted. All points must be earned by the final renewal application deadline.
- Candidates renewing certification for the second or subsequent time after testing must take the assessment before earning points for renewal. Points may be earned until the date the renewal application and learning plan are submitted. Applications and points must be submitted by the final renewal application deadline date. All points must be earned by the final renewal application deadline.
- AOCN® and CPON® renewal candidates may submit points earned since their last renewal. (AOCN®, AOCNS® and CPON® renewal candidates do not take an assessment.)
- If you are eligible to take the assessment, but do not do so, you may renew certification by submitting 100 points that exactly match the subject areas and weighting of the current test content outline. If submitting 100 points that match the test content outline, points may be earned from January 1 of the current certification period through the date the application is submitted. All points must be earned by the final renewal application deadline. Contact ONCC to have a 100-point plan created for you in LearningBuilder.
Earning Renewal Points
Ready to find and complete points for your renewal? Use this step-by-step guide to help you!
Test Content Outlines – Review the certification test content outline to identify topics that qualify for points in specific subject areas
AOCN®, AOCNS® & CPON® Renewal Candidates
You will not take an assessment, but must submit points in LearningBuilder.
- AOCN® candidates must submit 50 points in adult oncology.
- AOCNS® candidates must complete the number of points on their current learning plan. Future renewals will require 50 points in adult oncology.
- CPON® candidates must submit 50 points in pediatric oncology.
When you can access LearningBuilder
ONCC will send you an email notifying that you have access to LearningBuilder. Here’s when you can access LearningBuilder, the online tracking tool for renewal points.
|Pass an ONCC Test in||You can access LearningBuilder|