Here is how it works. A certified nurse takes a learning needs assessment based on the current test content outline before starting to prepare for renewal. The assessment identifies the nurse's knowledge strengths and weaknesses. The nurse completes professional development activities to strengthen his/her knowledge. Completing these activities earns points for certification renewal.
When to Take the Assessment
Each time you renew by Option 1 (Professional development points) you need to take the assessment before you can earn points for your next renewal. For example: if you renew certification by Option 1 in 2019, you must take the assessment before you can earn points for renewal in 2023. ONCC sends you an email when you are eligible to take the assessment - usually within a few weeks of receiving your certificate packet.
Continuing education completed before taking the assessment cannot be used for renewal points. Note - if you are renewing certification for the first time after passing a test you do not take the assessment. Use your test score report to identify renewal requirements. (AOCN®, AOCNS® and CPON® certified nurses do not take an assessment).
The assessment is not on this website. Please check your email for a message from ILNA@goamp.com with the subject line "Authorization to Assess". Please contact ONCC if you would like to have your Authorization resent. The assessment is free - you do not have to register for it.
Taking the Assessment
- Allow 2 hours for the assessment. It is timed and must be completed in one session. You cannot exit the assessment.
- Take the assessment alone and in a quiet place where you won't be interrupted.
- Technical Requirements: The assessment must be completed on a computer, tablet, or mobile device with a stable internet connection using the latest version of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. You must have the "cookies enabled" feature set on the browser.
Find out what to expect when taking the assessment.
Option 1 Renewal allows you to earn points for certification renewal by completing professional development activities, such as continuing nursing education (CNE), continuing medical education (CME), academic education, publications or presentations. You are not required to complete specific type of activity.
You will use an online tool, LearningBuilder, to record and submit your renewal points. ONCC will notify you when you can access LearningBuilder. Keep documentation of the points you earn, such as CE certificates, detailed program descriptions, or grade reports with your test score report or assessment results so you can access the information easily when entering points in LearningBuilder.
Time Period to Earn ILNA Points (Accrual Period)
- Candidates renewing certification for the second or subsequent time after testing must take the assessment before earning points for renewal. Points may be earned until the date you submit your renewal application and learning plan. Your application and learning plan must be submitted by the final renewal application deadline date. That means All points must be earned by the final renewal application deadline.
- Candidates renewing certification for the first time after testing may submit points earned from the date they pass the test through the date the renewal application and learning plan are submitted. All points must be earned by the final renewal application deadline.
- AOCN® and CPON® renewal candidates may submit points earned since their last renewal. (AOCN®, AOCNS® and CPON® renewal candidates do not take an assessment.)
- If you are eligible to take the assessment, but do not do so, you may renew certification by submitting 100 points that exactly match the subject areas and weighting of the current test content outline. If submitting 100 points that match the test content outline, points may be earned from January 1 of the current certification period through the date the application is submitted. All points must be earned by the final renewal application deadline. Contact ONCC to have a 100-point plan created for you in LearningBuilder.
Earning Renewal Points
Ready to find and complete points for your renewal? Use this step-by-step guide to help you!
Test Content Outlines (Blueprints) – Review the certification test content outline to identify topics that qualify for points in specific subject areas
AOCN®, AOCNS® & CPON® Renewal Candidates
You will not take an assessment, but must submit points in LearningBuilder.
- AOCN® candidates must submit 50 points in adult oncology.
- AOCNS® candidates must complete the number of points on their current learning plan. Future renewals will require 50 points in adult oncology.
- CPON® candidates must submit 50 points in pediatric oncology.
When you can access LearningBuilder
ONCC will send you an email notifying that you have access to LearningBuilder. Here’s when you can access LearningBuilder, the online tracking tool for renewal points.
|Pass an ONCC Test in||You can access LearningBuilder|