Help your nurses earn oncology certification – the no-risk way.
Enroll in the ONCC FreeTake Program and your nurses can take an oncology certification test up to two times, and you only pay when they pass.
Here’s how it works:
- Your institution applies to participate in ONCC FreeTake
- You agree to provide at least 10 ONCC test candidates during a 12-month agreement period. (Note: there is no limit on the maximum number of test candidates who may apply to test under this program.)
- You distribute special codes to eligible staff to apply online. (This allows nurses to apply without payment.)
- The nurse applies and takes the test. If the nurse passes, you are invoiced for the test fee. If the nurse doesn’t pass, she/he can apply to retake the test one time within 12 months.
- If the nurse passes on the second attempt, you pay the test fee. If the nurse doesn’t pass, you don’t pay (and neither does the nurse).
- Decreases nurses’ test anxiety – nurses can retake the test one time for free
- Removes the financial burden of paying a test fee up front – your institution is invoiced only if the nurse passes.
- Eliminates cumbersome accounting processes for reimbursing individual nurses after they pass a test.
ONCC FreeTake can be used for all ONCC examinations (OCN®, AOCNP®, CBCN®, CPHON®, BMTCN®) beginning with 2018 ONCC tests.
Note: ONCC FreeTake is a program designed to help institutions support certification by reducing two of the common barriers that deter nurses from testing: fear of failure and payment of the test fee. Because it is an institutional program, ONCC cannot invoice individual nurses for test payment. Only the institution can be billed for the test fees.
Important Changes to the 2018 ONCC FreeTake Program
If you participated in the ONCC FreeTake Program in 2017, please review this summary of changes to the 2018 program.
The 12-month agreement period is flexible. In 2018, you can choose the 12 consecutive months for your institution’s agreement period. Your agreement is not required to begin or end on the calendar year.
A test candidate is a nurse who is approved to take the test. Nurses who do not meet the eligibility criteria, or who do not provide requested documentation/information in support of their test application will not be issued an Authorization to Test and will not count toward the 10-candidate minimum. This also means that incomplete applications will not be processed and will not count toward the 10-candidate minimum.
The following actions by a test candidate will count as one of the two available attempts under the ONCC FreeTake Program. If a nurse forfeits one test attempt due to circumstances described below, the nurse will have one test attempt remaining and will not get a free retest if she/her fails on that attempt.
- The test candidate does not make a test appointment during the 90-day period specified in their Authorization to Test.
- The test candidate requests a transfer to a later 90-day period.
- The test candidate does not show for a scheduled test appointment.
Your organization must have a 60% pass rate to renew your contract the following year. If you participate in 2018, you must have at least a 60% pass rate to participate again in 2019.