Resources for ONS and APHON Chapters
The Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) would like to help your chapter promote oncology nursing certification any way we can. Here are some ideas you can use to promote certification, celebrate Certified Nurses Day, and recognize newly certified nurses.
Celebrate newly certified nurses
Getting certified is an exciting accomplishment! Here are a few ways you can celebrate your members' certification accomplishments:
- Bring them a treat (cookies, candy, fruit, cupcakes, etc.)
- Announce their certification on your chapter's social media page
- Give them a congratulatory card and/or balloons
- Issue a press release to your local newspaper
- Buy them a credential pin
Promote certification in new and fun ways
- Give every non-certified nurse a mason jar. Encourage the nurses to put $2 a day in it for five months, enough for a certification test. Use the ONCC mason jar labels.
- Hold a review course
- Request materials from ONCC for events. You can also download and print materials.
- Host a certification fair to tell nurses about the different certifications ONCC offers
- Encourage certified nurses to become Certification Advocates
- Organize study groups
- Send email reminders to your chapter about review courses and test application dates
- Send good luck cards to nurses about to take the certification test
- Offer a demonstration of the ONCC website. Show nurses where they can find application information, test content outlines, and the candidate handbooks.
- Designate certified nurses as mentors for nurses preparing for the certification test
Celebrate Certified Nurses Day on March 19
- Host a Certified Nurses Day party and bring treats such as cake and/or coffee
- Make a poster with a list of certified nurses and their credentials
- Recognize certified nurses in your newsletter
- Organize a special tea or luncheon
- Have special t-shirts made for certified nurses
- Give small gift items such as lotion, pens, gum, coffee or bottled water, with a small note attached
- Hand out a flower to all certified nurses
- Plan a night out and go to the movies or to dinner. Save money by negotiating a group discount.
- Share treats with patients and/or visitors. It is a great opportunity to educate others about certification.
Download some resources to help you promote certification!