This award recognizes a CPON® or CPHON® who has made significant contributions to pediatric oncology or hematology nursing; oncology nursing service; and who has supported and promoted oncology nursing certification. The Certified Pediatric Oncology Nurse of the Year will receive $1,000 and be presented with a crystal award at the Recognition Breakfast for Oncology Certified Nurses at the APHON Annual Conference. Please see below for information about the award criteria.
Please review the instructions below before beginning the nomination process.
Application Deadline: May 31
Nominees must demonstrate accomplishments in the promotion of oncology nursing certification; and oncology nursing service; as well as in one of the following areas of pediatric oncology or hematology nursing; clinical practice, education, or research.
Promotion of Oncology Nursing Certification
- Actively promotes oncology nursing certification among nursing colleagues, other healthcare professionals, and healthcare consumers
- Enhances the image of oncology nursing among the general public
- Participates in community affairs, legislative activities, or in organizations that affect nursing
- Enhances the image of oncology nursing among healthcare professionals
- Participates in community education
Pediatric Oncology or Hematology Nursing Practice
Candidates must demonstrate accomplishments in ONE of the following areas (nominee, nominator, and recommendations must all address the same area):
- Develops or uses creative approaches to pediatric oncology or hematology nursing which enhance quality patient care
- Serves as an example to inspire pediatric oncology or hematology nurse peers
- Demonstrates a commitment to the care of persons with cancer and their families
- Participates in the education and development of nurses
- Participates in patient/family teaching
- Participates in educating other disciplines about pediatric oncology or hematology nursing
- Participates in the research process
- Applies research findings to nursing practice
- Conducts research which positively affects pediatric oncology or hematology patient care
- Nominees must be CPON® or CPHON® certified at the time of nomination and award presentation.
- Nominees must have current, active, unencumbered RN licensure (or equivalent foreign credentials).
- Members of the ONCC Recognition Subcommittee and the ONCC Board of Directors are not eligible to be nominees, to nominate others, or to provide recommendations for nominees.
- Each nomination must include completed Nomination Information, Biographical information, and two Recommendations/Letters of Reference.
- The two Recommendations/Letters of Reference must be from individuals other than the nominator or nominee. Only two Recommendations may be submitted; additional recommendations will not be considered.
- All materials must be submitted online. It will be the responsibility of the Nominator or Nominee (if a self-nomination) to provide the requested information, and to upload the supporting References/Letters of Recommendation with the online application.
- Completed nominations must be submitted by April 15.
- Incomplete or late nominations will not be considered.
- Additional materials or supporting documentation will not be considered.
- All decisions of the ONCC Recognition Subcommittee and ONCC Board of Directors are final.
- Award recipients must agree to be recognized in ONCC Certification News, and/or other publications approved by ONCC.