What is Reinstatement?
Reinstatement provides the opportunity for nurses who did not apply for renewal by the application deadline date to maintain certification without interruption. For nurses who don’t want to take a test again, or for credentials that don’t have retesting as an option, it is the only way to maintain continuous certification. Nurses who plan to reinstate may earn points for renewal until the day the reinstatement application is submitted. Points must be accrued prior to March 31. An application for reinstatement, a completed learning plan, and documentation of all points earned (e.g., CE certificates) must be submitted with the application by March 31 the year following expiration. There is an additional fee for reinstatement.
Nurses who wish to reinstate should contact ONCC to request access to their learning plan.
- Candidates who wish to maintain their certification, but miss the final deadline for certification renewal, may:
- Apply to re-take the examination in the following year as an initial candidate, or
- Apply for certification reinstatement by Option 1 (practice hours + ILNA Points) on or before March 31 of the year immediately following the credential expiration date, or
- Apply for certification reinstatement by Option 3 (test + ILNA Points) and test on or before March 31 of the year immediately following the credential expiration date.
- Nurses may not use the credential after their certification expires on December 31, but may again use the credential after being notified that their certification has been reinstated
- Reinstatement is retroactive and the certification period will not be extended for nurses who reinstate.
- Reinstatement requires the candidate to submit all required applications and logs, as well as documentation of meeting the Option 1 or Option 3 requirements, as they would do if their Learning Plans were audited. All CE certificates, transcripts or other documentation that would usually be required if the candidate submitted the application on time and was audited must be submitted with the application for reinstatement.
- Candidates who apply for reinstatement must submit their application and required documentation to ONCC by mail or fax; Learning Plans must be submitted electronically.
- Candidates must pay the reinstatement fee of $300, in addition to the final deadline application fee for Option 1 or Option 3.
- Candidates who miss the final deadline for reinstatement of their certification may utilize the Review and Appeals Policy. All requests for review and appeal must document the extenuating circumstances that caused the candidates to miss the deadline.
- Candidates who apply for reinstatement must have earned all points by the time the reinstatement application is submitted.